Why NextDirection?Are you that high school student who loves choir, who is able to draw others around you during break, but who might not know choral education could possibly be a career for you? Are you a college music major who is looking for some practical experience and to become a leader in choral education? Do you want to dive deeper and find a stronger connection to making music?
NextDirection is for YOU!Teaming with WCDA master teachers, NextDirection offers you the unique opportunity to work side-by-side with some of the most dynamic choral music educators and directors in the country.
Previous NextDirection participants are now industry leaders. In Wisconsin alone, many of the WCDA leadership team’s first experiences in music education were through NextDirection.
If you want to take that next step in your choral experiences, JOIN US at NextDirection!
~~~~~ TESTIMONIALS ~~~~~“In a world where everyone wants you to have experience going into a job, but no one is willing to hire on someone on the ground floor, Next Direction is an incredible way to gain experience teaching when you don't have a lot to begin with, creating lasting personal and professional relationships. It's a brand new way to enjoy the shared human experience through sound and music.”
- Francis McGinty, Bar Manager at Gamlin Whiskey House, St. Louis, MO.“I loved the intimate relationships made with both the students and teachers. The environment was great and every professor/teacher was genuinely helpful and supportive.”
- Kimberly Li, University of Nevada-Reno“The sessions were fun and engaging and full of things for me to take back. I was not expecting to have such an emotional experience, but I absolutely did and I didn’t realize how much I needed to have that.”
- Hannah Feathers, Middle Tennessee State University“Becoming a chaperone for the High School portion was absolutely fabulous and it was rejuvenating to see how excited they all got about their futures in choral education.”
- Tyler Jaques, Lawrence University“NextDirection was an incredible experience for me as a future music educator. I really got a view into what it would be like to pursue choral music while learning under the incredible conductor Henry Leck. Attending this conference solidified my decision to be a music educator!”
- Erica Breitbarth, choral director at Reagan High School, Milwaukee, WI“Over the years, I have sent many students to NextDirection. Each has come back inspired, enlightened, and excited to consider a career in choral music – many are in the classroom today. The combination of real-world information with inspirational clinicians has been transformational.”
- Karen Bruno, choral director at Lawrence Academy of Music“NextDirection was a life-changing experience that renewed my passion for the choral arts and allowed me to forge connections with choral colleagues from around the country. Due to the geographic separation of living in Hawaiʻi, I was never able to interact with collegiate counterparts in such a meaningful setting - that is, until NextDirection. It was an incredible honor to represent our choral community in Hawaiʻi, the University of Hawaiʻi, and our lāhui (nation/race) at large. Mahalo for this outstanding opportunity!”
- Elizabeth Baker, University of Hawaii“Back in 2008, I was a confused and overwhelmed junior in high school who had no idea what I wanted to do. I knew I loved music and singing but didn't know how to use that as a career and continue my love of music past high school. My high school choir teacher at the time brought Next Direction up as an option of something that might help guide me along my path. Next Direction helped to guide me and give me a sense of belonging to a community when I needed it most in such a transitional time of my life. It gave me a group of people, both my age and professional, that I knew I could reach out to for support and guidance in what my next steps were to achieve my goals.”
- Adam Minten, choral director at New Holstein High School, New Holstein WI